Dr. Ahmed Salem
Cardiology Registrar (ST6) and Clinical Research Fellow
Thames Valley Deanery
I’m currently a final year PhD student at Swansea University, and a cardiology registrar at John Radcliff Hospital.
My short-term goal is to secure an interventional cardiology fellow post and get good exposure to varies coronary interventions to gain the needed competence in the intervention field.
My intermediate plans are to gain more skills and practical knowledge in the field of clinical cardiology, to complete my professional development and gain CCT.
My long-term goal is to pursue a career as a cardiology academic interventionist, conducting clinically oriented studies, passing on the knowledge on to the next generation, with involvement in quality improvement programmes to maximize safety, minimize risks and to achieve the best possible care for patients.
- Ali MH, Mushtaq A, Bakhsh ARA, Salem A, Abdulwahid K, Authors AI. Where are we getting it wrong? Prevalence and causes of unplanned SAVR in a UK regional cardiac centre. Br J Cardiol | 1 BJC ONLINE Surg AORTIC VALVE Replace Br J Cardiol [Internet]. [cited 2023 Sep 6];30(3):105. Available from: https://jasp-stats.org/
- Salem AM, Davis J, Gopalan D, Rudd JHF, Clarke SC, Schofield PM, et al. Characteristics of conventional high-risk coronary plaques and a novel CT defined thin-cap fibroatheroma in patients undergoing CCTA with stable chest pain. Clin Imaging [Internet]. 2023 Sep 1 [cited 2023 Jun 14];101:69–76. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S089970712300147X
- Salem AM, Harris D, Bray JJH, Obaid DR, Stephens JW, Halcox J. Achievement of the ESC recommendations for secondary prevention of cardiovascular risk factors in high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes: A real-world national cohort analysis. Int J Cardiol [Internet]. 2023 [cited 2023 Feb 21]; Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36764610/
- Salem AM, Bain SC, Obaid DR, Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists as anti-inflammatory agents: A potential mode of cardiovascular benefits, Atherosclerosis (2022), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2022.05.010.
- Bray, JJH, Foster‐Davies, H, Salem, A, et al. Glucagon‐like peptide‐1 receptor agonists improve biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress: A systematic review and meta‐analysis of randomised controlled trials. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2021; 1– 17. https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.14399
- Salem A, Zachou G, Makuloluwa K, Kardos A. Never Too Old for a Congenital Heart Disease: A Case of a Unileaflet Mitral Valve in a 76-year-old Man. J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2020 Jan;28:e2. https://doi.org/10.4250/jcvi.2019.0077
- Salem A, Aziz S, Ruparelia N. Streptococcus intermedius masquerading as fungal infective endocarditis… PCR to the rescue. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2019 Nov 2;80(11):674-675. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2019.80.11.674.
- Salem A, Kumar S. and McHugh R. New Oral Anticoagulant Minimizes Delays and Rescheduling of Direct Current Cardioversion in Atrial Fibrillation. 2018;10.1007/s40278-018-54627-z. Global Heart Journal
- Gudur S, O’Brien F, Salem A, Hasan I, Hussain N, Corcoran C, Emery S, Walker-Frost Z, Fletcher A and Marsden P. Using Gold Standard Framework Criteria in COPD: Empowering Patients to make Choices about End of Life Care. 2017; 10.1183/1393003.congress-2017.PA4968 European Respiratory Journal