Professor Mohamed Zaibi
PhD, MSc, BSc
Director of Biomedical Research
Director of the Institute for Biomedical and Bioscience Research
The University of Buckingham
The Mediterranean Diet and Cardiovascular Health
Obesity, diabetes and the development of CVD
Links between chronic low-grade inflammation, oxidative stress and cardiovascular diseases
Mohamed was awarded his BSc Biochemistry and his MSc Nutrition and Human Physiology from the School of Sciences and his PhD from Medical School, (University of Burgundy, France) where he worked on the effect of metformin (oral anti-diabetic drug) on hepatic protein metabolism regulation.
Mohamed joined the Clore laboratory in 2005 to bring his extensive experience in metabolic diseases acquired at Dospharm Biotech Company and the European Centre of Bioprospectives (Normandy, France) where he was managing collaborative research with Lipha-Merck, Air Liquid Sante and Beaufour-IPSEN on the investigation of novel drugs for the treatment of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and diabetes.
Mohamed is Director of the Institute for Biomedical and Bioscience Research (IBBR). He is leading the University research group in Biomedical Research. The group is investigating the beneficial effects of pharmaceutical drugs and plant-based medicines on inflammation, oxidative stress, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and neurodegenerative diseases in partnership with our academic and industrial collaborators.
Mohamed has been involved in public health education and preventive programmes, delivering public lectures and seminars, on adult and childhood obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular complications, as well as on the cross-talk between metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases. He is the author, and co-author of more than forty scientific and research publications, including refereed journal articles, refereed conference and workshop papers.
- Russo C, Edwards KD, Margetts G, Kleidonas S, Zaibi NS, Clapham JC, and Zaibi MS. Effects of Salvia officinalis L. and Chamaemelum nobile (L.) extracts on inflammatory responses in two models of human cells: Primary subcutaneous adipocytes and neuroblastoma cell line (SK-N-SH). Journal of ethnopharmacology (268). 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2020.113614
- Amri Z, Ben Khedher MR, Zaibi MS, Kharroubi W, Turki M, Ayadi F and Hammami M, (2020). Anti-diabetic effects of pomegranate extracts in long-term high fructose-fat fed rats. Clinical Phytoscience (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40816-020-00202-y
- Zaibi MS. Primary Adipocytes as a Model for Insulin Sensitivity. Methods Mol Biol. 2020; 2076:255-263. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-9882-1_15.
- Vejux A, Abed-Vieillard D, Hajji K, Zarrouk A, Mackrill JJ, Ghosh S, Nury T, Yammine A, Zaibi M, Mihoubi W, Bouchab H, Nasser B, Grosjean Y, Lizard G. 7-Ketocholesterol and 7β-hydroxycholesterol: In vitro and animal models used to characterize their activities and to identify molecules preventing their toxicity. Biochem Pharmacol. 2019 Oct 3:113648. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2019.113648.
- Zaibi MS, Kępczyńska MA, Harikumar P, Alomar SY, Trayhurn P. IL-33 stimulates expression of the GPR84 (EX33) fatty acid receptor gene and of cytokine and chemokine genes in human adipocytes. Cytokine. 2018 Oct;110:189-193. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2018.05.008. Epub 2018 May 16.
- Ben Khedher MR, Hammami M, Arch JRS, Hislop DC, Eze D, Wargent ET, Kępczyńska MA, and Zaibi MS. Preventive effects of Salvia officinalis leaf extract on insulin resistance and inflammation in a model of high fat diet-induced obesity in mice that responds to rosiglitazone. PeerJ. 2018 Jan 9;6: e4166. doi: 10.7717/peerj.4166. eCollection 2018.
- Muredda L, Kępczyńska MA, Zaibi MS, Alomar SY, Trayhurn P. IL-1β and TNFα inhibit GPR120 (FFAR4) and stimulate GPR84 (EX33) and GPR41 (FFAR3) fatty acid receptor expression in human adipocytes: implications for the anti-inflammatory action of n-3 fatty acids. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2018 May;124(2):97-108. doi: 10.1080/13813455.2017.1364774. Epub 2017 Aug 24.
- Kępczyńska MA, Zaibi MS, Alomar SY, Trayhurn P. PCR arrays indicate that the expression of extracellular matrix and cell adhesion genes in human adipocytes is regulated by IL-1β (interleukin-1β). Arch Physiol Biochem. 2017 Feb;123(1):61-67. doi: 10.1080/13813455.2016.1248979. Epub 2016 Nov 18.
- Gentili A, Zaibi MS, Alomar SY, De Vuono S, Ricci MA, Alaeddin A, Siepi D, Boni M, Vaudo G, Trayhurn P, Lupattelli G. Circulating Levels of the Adipokines Monocyte Chemotactic Protein-4 (MCP-4), Macrophage Inflammatory Protein-1β (MIP-1β), and Eotaxin-3 in Severe Obesity and Following Bariatric Surgery. Horm Metab Res. 2016 Dec;48(12):847-853. Epub 2016 Jun 14.
- Alomar SY, Gentili A, Zaibi MS, Kępczyńska MA, Trayhurn P. IL-1β (interleukin-1β) stimulates the production and release of multiple cytokines and chemokines by human preadipocytes. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2016 Jul;122(3):117-22. doi: 10.3109/13813455.2016.1156706. Epub 2016 Mar 16.
- Harzallah A, Hammami M, Kępczyńska MA, Hislop DC, Arch JR, Cawthorne MA, and Zaibi MS. Comparison of potential preventive effects of pomegranate flower, peel and seed oil on insulin resistance and inflammation in high-fat and high-sucrose diet-induced obesity mice model. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2016;122(2):75-87. doi: 10.3109/13813455.2016.1148053. Epub 2016 Feb 26.
- Alomar SY, Zaibi MS, Kępczyńska MA, Gentili A, Alkhuriji A, Mansour L, Dar JA, Trayhurn P. PCR array and protein array studies demonstrate that IL-1β (interleukin-1β) stimulates the expression and secretion of multiple cytokines and chemokines in human adipocytes. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2015;121(5):187-93. doi: 10.3109/13813455.2015.1087034. Epub 2015 Oct 15.
- Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, O’Dowd JF, Cawthorne MA, Wang SJ, Arch JR, Stocker CJ. Evidence from studies in rodents and in isolated adipocytes that agonists of the chemerin receptor CMKLR1 may be beneficial in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. PeerJ. 2015 Feb 5;3: e753. doi: 10.7717/peerj.753. eCollection 2015.
- Ngala RA, Zaibi MS, Langlands K, Stocker CJ, Arch JR, Cawthorne MA. Stimulation of glucose uptake in murine soleus muscle and adipocytes by 5-(4-phenoxybutoxy) psoralen (PAP-1) may be mediated by Kv1.5 rather than Kv1.3. PeerJ. 2014 Oct 7;2: e614. doi: 10.7717/peerj.614. eCollection 2014.
- Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, Silvestri C, Hislop DC, Stocker CJ, Stott CG, Guy GW, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Cawthorne MA. The cannabinoid Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) ameliorates insulin sensitivity in two mouse models of obesity. Nutr Diabetes. 2013 May 27;3: e68. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2013.9.
- Christiansen E, Hansen SV, Urban C, Hudson BD, Wargent ET, Grundmann M, Jenkins L, Zaibi M, Stocker CJ, Ullrich S, Kostenis E, Kassack MU, Milligan G, Cawthorne MA, Ulven T. Discovery of TUG-770: A Highly Potent Free Fatty Acid Receptor 1 (FFA1/GPR40) Agonist for Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes. ACS Med Chem Lett. 2013 May 9;4(5):441-445. Epub 2013 Apr 8.
- Christiansen E, Due-Hansen ME, Urban C, Grundmann M, Schmidt J, Hansen SV, Hudson BD, Zaibi M, Markussen SB, Hagesaether E, Milligan G, Cawthorne MA, Kostenis E, Kassack MU, Ulven T. Discovery of a potent and selective free fatty acid receptor 1 agonist with low lipophilicity and high oral bioavailability. J Med Chem. 2013 Feb 14;56(3):982-92. doi: 10.1021/jm301470a. Epub 2013 Jan 22.
- Wargent ET, O’Dowd JF, Zaibi MS, Gao D, Bing C, Trayhurn P, Cawthorne MA, Arch JR, Stocker CJ. Contrasts between the effects of zinc-α2-glycoprotein, a putative β3/2-adrenoceptor agonist and the β3/2-adrenoceptor agonist BRL35135 in C57Bl/6 (ob/ob) mice. J Endocrinol. 2013 Jan 18;216(2):157-68. doi: 10.1530/JOE-12-0402. Print 2013 Feb.
- Bellahcene M, O’Dowd JF, Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, Hislop DC, Ngala RA, Smith DM, Cawthorne MA, Stocker CJ, Arch JR Male mice that lack the G-protein-coupled receptor GPR41 have low energy expenditure and increased body fat content. Br J Nutr. 2013 May 28;109(10):1755-64. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512003923. Epub 2012 Oct 31.
- Stocker CJ, Wargent ET, Martin-Gronert MS, Cripps RL, O’Dowd JF, Zaibi MS, Cottrell EC, Mercer JG, Duncan JS, Cawthorne MA, Ozanne SE, Arch JR.Leanness in postnatally nutritionally programmed rats is associated with increased sensitivity to leptin and a melanocortin receptor agonist and decreased sensitivity to neuropeptide Y. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012 Aug;36(8):1040-6. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2011.226. Epub 2011 Nov 29.
- Zaibi MS, Stocker CJ, O’Dowd J, Davies A, Bellahcene M, Cawthorne MA, Brown AJ, Smith DM, Arch JR. Roles of GPR41 and GPR43 in leptin secretory responses of murine adipocytes to short chain fatty acids. FEBS Lett. 2010 Jun 3;584(11):2381-6. doi: 10.1016/j.febslet.2010.04.027. Epub 2010 Apr 20.
- Bozaoglu K, Curran JE, Stocker CJ, Zaibi MS, Segal D, Konstantopoulos N, Morrison S, Carless M, Dyer TD, Cole SA, Goring HH, Moses EK, Walder K, Cawthorne MA, Blangero J, Jowett JB. Chemerin, a novel adipokine in the regulation of angiogenesis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 May; 95(5):2476-85. doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-0042. Epub 2010 Mar 17.
- Rapin J.R., M. Zaibi and K. Drieu. In vivo and in vitro effects of an extract of Ginkgo biloba (EGB 761), Ginkgolide B and Bilobalide on apoptosis in primary cultures of rat hippocampal neurons. Drug Develop. Res. 45 (1998) 23-29.
- M.S. Zaibi, P. Padieu, M. Chessebeuf – Padieu, M. El Baraka, N. Wiernsperger, and J.R. Rapin. Metfomine induces an agonist – specific increase in albumin production by primary cultured rat hepatocytes. Biochem. Pharmacol., 50 (1995) 775-780.
- M. S. Zaibi. In vivo and in vitro beneficial effects of Salvia officinalis (Sage) leaf extract on glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, inflammation and oxidative stress. The NutRedox COST action CA16112. 2-4 October 2019. Lisbon, Portugal.
- M. S. Zaibi. Anti-obesity and anti-diabetic effects of L. Hastata leaf extracts in animal models of obesity and insulin resistance. 2nd World Congress on traditional and complementary medicine. June 20-21, 2019. Dubai, UAE.
- M. S. Zaibi. White adipose tissue, the epicentre of obesity. 16th European Congress of Toxicology & Pathology. September 11-14, 2018. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Ansam Al-Sabti, Mohamed Zaibi and Sabah Jassim. An Integrative Omics Approach to Identify Sub-Network Biomarker in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. European Modelling Symposium on Mathematical Modelling and Computer SimulationAt: Manchester, United Kingdom. November 2017. DOI: 10.1109/EMS.2017.20.
- M. S. Zaibi. Beneficial effects of Leptadenia Hastata leaf extracts in animal models of obesity and insulin resistance. The NutRedox COST action CA16112 & the 6th Atelier “NutriOx”. 27-29 September 2017. Strasbourg, France.
- M. S. Zaibi, Edward T. Wargent, Claire J. Stocker, David Hislop, Marnie Duncan, Colin Stott, Jonathan R.S. Arch and Michael A. Cawthorne.Anti-obesity, anti-diabetic and anti-inflammatory effects of tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) in high fat diet-induced obese C57Bl/6 female mice. 19th European Congress on Obesity (ECO 2012). 9-12 May 2012. Lyon. France.
- M. A. Cawthorne, E. Wargent, M. S. Zaibi, C. Stocker, J. O’Dowd, P. Harikumar, D. Hislop, R. Panchal, C. Stott, M. Duncan and G. W. Guy. Metabolic effects of non-psychoactive cannabinoids in animal models. World Diabetes Congress. 4-8 December 2011. Dubai (UAE).
- M. S. Zaibi, Amjad Al-Habian, Claire J. Stocker and Kenneth Langlands. Skin from obese (Lepob/Lepob) mice shows compromised dermal fibroblast physiology and disorganised collagen structure. 18th European Congress on Obesity (ECO 2011). 25-28 May 2011. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Amjad Al-Habian, M.S. Zaibi, C.J. Stocker, M. Kępczyńska, E.T. Wargent, M.A. Cawthorne, and K. Langlands. Increasing Insulin Resistance Correlates with Progressive Skin Damage in Murine Models of Obesity and Diabetes. 71st Annual Meeting, May 4-7, 2011. Phoenix, Arizona. USA.
- Mohamed S. Zaibi, Claire J. Stocker, Jacqueline O’Dowd, Alison Davies, Mohamed Bellhacene, Michael A Cawthorne, Alastair J.H. Brown, David M. Smith and Jonathan R.S. Arch. Roles of GPR41 and GPR43 in leptin secretory responses of murine adipocytes to short chain fatty acids (SCFA). Keystone Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology. January 24 – 29, 2010. Keystone, Colorado, USA.
- Kiymet Bozaoglu, Joanne E. Curran, Claire J. Stocker, Mohamed S. Zaibi, David Segal, Nicky Konstantopoulos, Shona Morrison, Melanie Carless, Thomas D. Dyer, Shelley A. Cole, Harald H. H. Goring, Eric K. Moses, Ken Walder, Michael A. Cawthorne, John Blangero and Jeremy B. M. Jowett. The New Adipokine Chemerin is Genetically Regulated and Promotes Angiogenesis. 11th International Congress on Obesity, 11th – 15th July 2010. Stockholm, Sweden.
- Claire J. Stocker, Mohamed S. Zaibi, Kiymet Bozaoglu, David Segal, Jeremy B.M. Jowett, Ken Walder, Jonathan R.S. Arch and Michael A. Cawthorne. Chemerin: a Novel Adipokine in the Regulation of Angiogenesis. UK Adipose Tissue Discussion Group. UK ATDG Meeting 2009, AstraZeneca. Macclesfield, UK.
- Mohamed S. Zaibi, Claire J. Stocker, Jacqueline F. O’Dowd, Alison Davies, Mohamed Bellahcene, Michael A. Cawthorne, Alastair J.H. Brown, David M. Smith and Jonathan R.S. Arch. GPR41 and GPR43 in leptin secretory responses of murine adipocytes to SCFA. UK Adipose Tissue Discussion Group. UK ATDG Meeting 2009, AstraZeneca. Macclesfield, UK.
- M. A. Kepczynska, J. F. O’Dowd, E. T. Wargent, M. S. Zaibi, M. A. Cawthorne, J. R. S. Arch and C. J. Stocker. Maternal fat feeding during both the peri-conceptional and gestational period in the mouse. Effects on the later health on her offspring. 2nd International Brussels Symposium on Pancreatic Islet Research, 18th to 21st June 2009. Brussels, Belgium.
- Michael A. Cawthorne, Ed Wargent, Mohamed S. Zaibi, Colin Stott and Stephen Wright. The CB-1 antagonist, Delta 9 Tetra-Hydro-Cannabi-Varin (THCV) has anti-obesity activity in Dietary-Induced Obese (DIO) mice. International Cannabinoid Research Society. 17th Annual Symposium on the cannabinoids, June 26 – 30, 2007. Saint-Sauveur, Québec, Canada.
- M.S. Zaibi., A. Estival, J.R. Rapin, N. Wiernsperger. Regulation of apolipoprotein B secretion in cultured hepatocytes by insulin, dexamethasone and thyroxine in IDDM and NIDDM diabetic rats. Effects of metformin. In Methods and finding 18 supB. (1996) 136.